As of 2022 I'm back to doing in person lessons; I can come to you or you can come to me - send me a message and we'll set up a date and time. I still offer online lessons and I'm happy to use Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, FaceTime, or any other platform you prefer.
- Interested in adding jazz to your musical stylings?
- Want to devote more time to learning jazz guitar properly?
- Plan to study jazz academically and want a head start?
- Need help or additional tutoring for your music studies?
With over 20 years of experience teaching music, I focus on jazz. My specialty is jazz guitar and its many aspects: chord and scale theories, rhythm, harmony, single note and chord melody playing, accompaniment, chord voicings, bebop and modern styles.
When teaching, I like to de-mystify the process of learning and playing jazz – and it’s key to do so in a relaxed environment. Jazz is big world and there are many topics worth studying. We would begin by talking about your learning goals, your current level and how we will move you forward.
What makes me unique:
- I have 20 years of performing experience in many different settings – from solo guitar all the way up to big bands.
- I am musically literate and have been studying music for a long time. I have my Master of Music and Bachelor of Music degrees. I have also taken lessons from some serious greats – including Barry Harris, Peter Bernstein, John Abercrombie, Gilad Hekselman and Mike Walker.
- I practice what I preach. I regularly use the same material I’m teaching others – either in the practice room or on the stage.
- I tailor my teaching to your specific wants and needs. My only agenda is to make sure you get what you want out of our lessons and enjoy the process. I get a lot out of watching students develop their skills and seeing the joy they have playing. Jazz is cool – and learning jazz is super cool.
I can teach any level, but I specialize in teaching musicians who already have a bit of experience (in any genre) and are keen to learn more about jazz. I can also help anyone learning jazz who might be overwhelmed or bewildered with the masses of information out there, and how to move forward. I also assist musicians with their audition preparations for GCSE, FE or students considering applying for jazz studies at a conservatoire.
Or, if you’ve simply been bitten by the bebop bug and your dream is to play like Charlie Parker all day long – I can show you how!
Contact me for a free consultation!
+44 (0)7946 257 068
Price: £30/hour within Leeds. £3 discount (£27/hour) if you take lessons in my Farsley home – lessons also include complimentary cups of tea (and biscuits if I have any)
Online lessons are also available.